Beginnings in Glasgow

So, it's June 17th and I've been in Glasgow, Scotland for a day and a half now.  Let me tell you...it is A LOT to take in, so I'm just gonna start with the beginning of the day and let you know how it went.

So, I got off the plane after a 7 hour flight and met up with the site contact for the program I'm participating in. Once all 3 of us students met up, we got in a taxi to go to the University. As soon as we got out of the cab to get our flat keys, we heard bagpipes being played nearby; it was such an idealistic welcoming to Scotland, and honestly a bit funny. We quickly set our stuff down in our flats and went off to explore the area a bit with the site contact. Having him as a sort of guide was incredibly helpful, because he knows so much about the area and made the transition coming here a lot easier. After just a few hours the jet lag hit full-force, and I basically felt like a zombie. It was difficult to sleep on the plane, so I'd pretty much not slept in 24 hours; I knew I needed to get used to the time difference so I tried to force myself to struggle through it. After exploring for a bit, we went back to our flats and I unpacked, set up WiFi, and put a new SIM card in my phone. I ended up going to bed around 2 am, and I knew I was going to sleep well. The next day we met back up with the site contact at 1 pm, and went to the city centre. The city centre reminds me a bit of NYC because there's a lot more shops, more going on, and a lot more people around. I love it there. We tried something called a sausage roll, which is sausage inside of a pastry, and it was really good. We went to 2 different churches and they were both incredibly beautiful, and we just explored the general area. After that we went back to the flats and I decided to go out again, so I walked over to the Botanic Gardens, which are very, very pretty and nice to walk through. Now I'm back at the flat writing this post, with my feet killing me because I've never walked so much in a day. I've had an incredible time so far, and I'm very excited to experience more here in Glasgow and all around Scotland. Classes start tomorrow, so I need to rest up now to make sure I'm lively and ready to learn! I'll keep this blog updated with more info about the program and the places we go.

Goodnight!

-Kendra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Returning home

Hey again everyone! This is going to be my final post just to wrap everything up. It's been a fun journey and I hope that I've pro...